0

Why You Should…Smile More

Posted by itsyourboyerik on 11:07 PM


big smile copy

There’s a great many things to do and places to see in this world of ours.  As humans, our lives are pretty short (and if you party like I do, it’s probably going to be even shorter).  So we have to prioritize!  We have brains for a reason and that reason is…reasoning (well, at least some of us use them for that purpose: see comment about partying above).  Let me be your voice of reason as I show you all the things you should be doing right here, right now.


From as early as I can remember, I have been told to smile more.  It’s not as if I skulked around family events and school functions all goth-like, it was just a reflex statement of my mother.  Now that I’m older, I can still hear my mother’s voice in my head whenever I’m at a social function (and that’s the only voice I hear in my head…I promise).  Apparently, there are reasons for smiling…more than just because your mom says so.


It’s Contagious – When you smile, people around you are more inclined to smile.  So that gorgeous French guy that sits next to you on the bus?  Try cracking a smile and see if it catches on.  French guy + smiling = excellent bus ride.


There Are Health BenefitsNumerous studies show that smiling can do amazing things for your body, like boost your immune system, lower your blood pressure, relieve stress, and release happy chemicals (among other things).


Things Seem FunnierExpressions increase the intensity of emotions, so if you’re reading or listening to something amusing, try smiling.  Chances are that you’ll end up enjoying the joke (and the moment) more.  This also works the other way – if you’re sad or angry, take a breath and try on a smile.  Usually, you can’t smile and be upset at the same time.


You Become More Beautiful – Smiling people are attractive, plain and simple.  People are naturally attracted to those that seem happy, relaxed, and confident.  Nothing brings those traits across quite as effectively as a smile.  Hey, you paid for those teeth-whitening treatments and that kickin’ lip gloss – why not put them to good use?


You’ll Be Successful – Smiling more often increases dopamine, seratonin and other fun brain chemicals.  This leads to an increase in optimism and general happiness.  Those who are more optimistic end up being more successful – they have better jobs, they get married sooner (and participate in healthier relationships), and even live longer.  Sign me up!


[Photo (which totally makes me smile) courtesy of Milltitus on Flickr.]

View Original Article


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Bloggy McBlog All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.